Friday, January 14, 2011

Pictures of Strangers



I often see people when I'm out and about that I'd love to photograph.  I've been challenging myself to ask them if they would sit for me, usually on the spot.  Capturing the beast in its natural environment, so to speak.  I still feel pretty uncomfortable doing this, but I'm getting better at it, and I'm collecting an interesting group of characters.  This is a gentleman I photographed this past fall.  It was an unusually warm day and the Major and I had taken the dog to the park for a walk.  I had been getting some good pictures of the two of them in our autumn surroundings when I saw this guy.  He was zipping around the park on his skateboard, just enjoying the day with a huge smile on his face.  I thought he had a nice look and decided to approach him for a photograph.  I think he got a kick out of posing for me.  I've found that when you show up with a big lens, people think you're a professional.  Shhh.  Don't tell.

For this photo, I edited it as I usually do, and loved the way it turned out.

 
But, as I continue to learn the ins and outs of Photoshop, I keep coming across effects that I want to try.  As you can probably guess, I learned how to use textures this week, which I have been playing with almost nonstop.  It's becoming a bit of a problem.  But I am glad to have another tool in my repertoire.  I like the finished product.  It's a fun texture, and I think it matches the mood of the original photo.  What do you think?

No comments: